Author Topic: Mountain Run  (Read 1873 times)

hotrodalex

Mountain Run
« on: October 28, 2014, 02:36:52 pm »
This time we went in my roommate's truck.

Online RomanChariot

• CarSPINNER
Re: Mountain Run
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 03:25:23 pm »

This shot looks like it was taken from Rock Canyon looking back over the marina at Utah Lake State Park. Were you on Squaw Peak Road?
2002 BMW 530i
2001 Dodge Grand Caravan
1999 Chevy Suburban (The Beast)

Offline FoMoJo

• VP of Classic Mustangs
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 03:29:39 pm »
This time we went in my roommate's truck.

What are those grooves in the hillside all about?
"If you’re tired of arguing with strangers on the internet, try talking to one of them in real life." ~ Barack Obama

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

hotrodalex

Re: Re: Mountain Run
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 03:35:59 pm »
This shot looks like it was taken from Rock Canyon looking back over the marina at Utah Lake State Park. Were you on Squaw Peak Road?

Yup. I went a ways down the road back when I had my BMW, but you get to a part where it says no passenger vehicles beyond this point. So we finally got a capable vehicle and explored it.

hotrodalex

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 03:37:13 pm »

Unsure. They kinda look like step-farming grooves. But that's silly. A bit further back on the road (to the right) there were similar grooves that had ATV tracks, but these grooves don't connect so that doesn't seem to be the answer.

Offline MexicoCityM3

• Founder, BMW Car Club de México
  • Administrator
  • Founder, BMW Car Club de México
    • BMW Car Club de México
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 05:57:01 pm »
Nice views.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Offline Rupert

• GEOLOGIST
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 05:43:04 pm »
Unsure. They kinda look like step-farming grooves. But that's silly. A bit further back on the road (to the right) there were similar grooves that had ATV tracks, but these grooves don't connect so that doesn't seem to be the answer.

Possibly some misguided debris flow prevention engineering if that slope drains into a valley that is pointed at civilization. Could also be cow tracks or related to logging (though it doesn't look like trees ever grew there). Since they seem to end abruptly, I'm going with the first option.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 01:51:45 pm »
Sounds good to me. The valley opens up to the town/city in the background.

Offline Rupert

• GEOLOGIST
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 03:11:56 pm »
It wouldn't get light until 9 am here if we did that. Come on, that's ridiculous. I think the real issue here is that the planet is tilted. We should try to change that instead.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Offline Speed_Racer

• SLC
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 10:55:56 am »

I know the answer to this one!!!

A New Deal/CCC project from the Great Depression: http://geology.utah.gov/surveynotes/gladasked/gladmtn_lines.htm
2012 Suzuki Kizashi GTS, 2003 Suzuki SV650S

Offline Rupert

• GEOLOGIST
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 11:55:50 am »

A New Deal/CCC project from the Great Depression: http://geology.utah.gov/surveynotes/gladasked/gladmtn_lines.htm
Possibly some misguided debris flow prevention engineering if that slope drains into a valley that is pointed at civilization. Could also be cow tracks or related to logging (though it doesn't look like trees ever grew there). Since they seem to end abruptly, I'm going with the first option.
Nailed it!

It wouldn't get light until 9 am here if we did that. Come on, that's ridiculous. I think the real issue here is that the planet is tilted. We should try to change that instead.
Whoops, wrong thread.

Offline FoMoJo

• VP of Classic Mustangs
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 01:57:07 pm »

Thanks.  Now I can sleep again.
"If you’re tired of arguing with strangers on the internet, try talking to one of them in real life." ~ Barack Obama

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein