Author Topic: Got a Canon FD focal length reducer for my NEX  (Read 1605 times)

Offline 12,000 RPM

• Its not that serious
Got a Canon FD focal length reducer for my NEX
« on: July 19, 2014, 08:13:59 am »
I got a 24 2.8, 35 2 and 50 1.4 for like $320 on KEH, and then the FL reducer from a company called Zhongyi out of Hong Kong for $160. Basically the FL reducer works the opposite way a teleconverter does, reducing the crop factor and increasing the light sensor. So in theory it turns APS-C cameras into 35mm ones. There are obviously some issues... soft corners, higher CA, I've even heard of some folks' lenses getting permanently stuck to converters. W/e. Most of my shooting is low light wide angle stuff and low light AF on the NEX also just happens to suck. So it makes sense. I left my memory card at work but I don't have the reducer yet, just the lenses. Once it gets here I will take some test shots.
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike, than other people do in all their life" - Marco Simoncelli

That legendary GM V6 - memorialized on urinals & toilets across the US: "3.8 Lpf / 1.0 gpf"

Offline 68_427

• beautiful
  • Is Ravishingly
Re: Got a Canon FD focal length reducer for my NEX
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 11:20:33 am »
Sweet.  At this point I'm just sticking with e mount stuff.  Just bought the 16mm and extra wide angle converter.  I thnk my next purchase will be an A6000 body.
where were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Online JWC

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 04:47:34 pm »
For what people now label "legacy lenses" I use an adapter on the FF SLRs. I own adapters to use the same lenses on my Olympus Pen EP1. I've never followed the FL reducers and honestly was unaware of them. When I use a MF lens on a camera with a APS-C sensor, I keep the crop factor in mind. I have FD lenses for my Canon A-1 and AE1, but I don't have adapters for those two. I have adapters for 42mm screw-mount, Olympus OM (my preference), and Minolta. The Minolta's are fantastic lenses, but they do require a quality lens inside the adapter, so I don't recommend them for that reason. If the adapter isn't machined to spec, the lens can hit the mirror and damage it.

I believe everything that man just said---because it was exactly what I wanted to hear.  Space Ghost

When you photograph people in colour you photograph their clothes.  But when you photograph people in B&W, you photograph their souls!  ~Ted Grant

Art should be vulnerable....images should be about what something feels like as well as what it looks like. Duane Michals

Offline 12,000 RPM

• Its not that serious
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 10:03:57 pm »
Ooooo boy. Shipped in today. I'm in Raleigh tonight but I'll be home early tomorrow. Man one thing that sucks about work is I get home before the rental office closes. Anyways I have a bunch of shit lined up this weekend starting tomorrow night so I will get some pics and impressions. Played with the 35mm 2.0 a bit today... def looking forward to getting this kind of light and DOF with a wider FOV. And with focus peaking + MF assist (zooms 7.5x or 15x) it should get pretty easy. Just need to convince wifey to bring out a bigger purse
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike, than other people do in all their life" - Marco Simoncelli

That legendary GM V6 - memorialized on urinals & toilets across the US: "3.8 Lpf / 1.0 gpf"

Offline 12,000 RPM

• Its not that serious
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 08:09:03 am »
Been playing with this all for the last couple of weeks. Couple of impressions/anecdotes.

- Mounting the lenses is tricky. My 24mm wouldn't mount at all, and after an internet search I found that one of the tabs has to be shaved for it to mount. I did that and finally got it to mount, but then left it alone for a while. Other tricky thing is even when you do get it to mount, you have to mount it in such a way that it catches the aperture tab, or it will stay wide open. I figured this out this weekend when all my shots were getting blown the fuck out. Took the lens off and remounted, and then when I changed the aperture the shutter speed/exposure would change. Prob should have read the manual for the FL reducer before I tossed it :lol:

- 35mm FF equivalent (or ~23mm full frame) is my favorite focal length. I like having the other lenses, but I can pretty much make do with my 35mm F2 and nothing else. Anyone who is friends with me on FB can see my gallery from this weekend- again, everything was blown out, but it still shows how versatile the lens is.

- I would love a silent shutter mode. I like to get people in their element rather than posing, and with the loud ass shutter you only get 1 shot... back to back, people start to feel uncomfortable. Only other NEX body with that is the 5N and the $2000 A7s.................................... ...................

All in all though I am liking the new setup. It's fun and being forced to shoot manual focus and with a fixed focal length at all times is kind of like learning how to drive stickshift. Makes good shots that much more satisfying.

If we go to Europe next year I think I will rent an A7S for me and an RX100-3 for wifey.

Offline 68_427

• beautiful
  • Is Ravishingly
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 08:16:25 pm »
How about some samples BROOOOOOO
'racecar is die'
no

Offline 12,000 RPM

• Its not that serious
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 12:20:39 pm »
I will post some over the next couple of days.

Offline 68_427

• beautiful
  • Is Ravishingly
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 02:37:25 pm »
I'd love a 35 f/1.4, since my 50mm is essentially 80mm.
'racecar is die'
no

Offline 12,000 RPM

• Its not that serious
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 07:29:44 pm »
35 in FF is the perfect FL for general people photography IMO. My 35/2 is my go to lens.

Not the greatest pictures, but these were wide open and would not have been as good with my kit zoom.

Offline 68_427

• beautiful
  • Is Ravishingly
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 08:23:23 pm »
Shit.  Between photography and cars... what do I spend money on?
'racecar is die'
no

Offline 12,000 RPM

• Its not that serious
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 07:59:38 am »
Computers, bikes, video games... I have figured out that my hobbies are basically defined by any intersection of technology and hemmorhaghing $$$$

Offline 68_427

• beautiful
  • Is Ravishingly
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 01:50:50 pm »
Photog is gonna have to wait.  Made a rash decision this morning :lol:
'racecar is die'
no